Diabetes is one of the most prevalent diseases which most of the adults are diagnosed with. There are various types of diabetes which are categorized according to their causes, symptoms and risk factors. However, there is also a condition which is known as Prediabetes. Although it is not exactly as being diagnosed with Diabetes, the disease is highly becoming popular as it is being diagnosed in many recently.
What is Prediabetes?
Prediabetes is a condition in which a person’s blood sugar level is higher than normal but not as high enough to be termed as Type 2 Diabetes. The name of the disease can be misleading as a type of diabetes but its meaning is not to be misconstrued with actually having diabetes. If there is no treatment or diagnosis from a medical professional, it will turn into Type 2 diabetes within a few years. However, if treated with proper medication and lifestyle changes along with a weight loss program, a patient of Prediabetes can stop the blood sugar level from converting into Type 2 diabetes and bring it back to normal.
Although there are no exact causes of Prediabetes which are known but there are a few probable reasons why Prediabetes occurs in people and they are as follows:
- Family history and genetics can have a huge role in the diagnosis of Prediabetes in a person.
- Low activity rate and a sedentary lifestyle are often known to raise blood sugar level which turns to Prediabetes.
- The excessive fat percentage in a body is also a major cause of Prediabetes.
Just like various other types of diabetes, Prediabetes doesn’t have any kind of signs and symptoms in most cases. However, you might still look for Prediabetes early signs which can be similar to the list below:
- Increase in thirst and hunger.
- The subsequent increase in urination.
- Blurred vision in low light conditions or even in daylight at times.
- High levels of fatigue and tiredness.
Prediabetes Risk Factors
Since Prediabetes is an onset disease to Type 2 Diabetes, most of the risk factors associated with it stand true for Prediabetes as well. Below are a few major risk factors of this sugar disease:
- The increase in weight is a common risk factor in high blood sugar level which can lead up to various other diseases as well.
- If you fail to follow a proper Prediabetes diet plan which comprises of all the necessary nutrients, it will lead to worse consequences.
- Low level of activity is one of the biggest factors which can increase the risk of Prediabetes.
- Even haphazard sleep patterns can increase the chances of a person being diagnosed with Prediabetes.
Prediabetes Facts you Must Know
- Most people are diagnosed with Prediabetes after the age of 45.
- Intestinal bacteria are known to combat Prediabetes indirectly.
- People who stay up a late stand at a higher risk of getting Prediabetes in their life.
- People who lose 7% of body weight and do 150 minutes of exercise per week can go back from Prediabetes condition to normal blood sugar level condition.
- If we look at the definition of the disease, Prediabetes is not a type of Diabetes but just an onset of it.
Cure of Prediabetes
The cure for Prediabetes or way of lowering the blood sugar level is widely known and you can follow the various tips so that it doesn’t turn into Type 2 Diabetes. Make strong lifestyle changes which include changing your diet and activity level in a great way. Indulge in moderate exercises which are suitable for people with high blood sugar level. By proper consultation with a dietician, start a diet plan which is aimed at weight loss and contains elements that help in lowering the blood sugar level.