Diabetes is one of the most prevalent diseases in the world in current times. There are various types of diabetes and they all affect a person due to several causes. The type which affects mostly the kids and young adults is known as Type 1 Diabetes or Juvenile Diabetes. Although it is not the major kind of diabetes as it happens in only 5% of the people who are diagnosed with Diabetes mellitus. Still, the symptoms as well as the treatment of Type 1 Diabetes are along the similar lines of other types of diabetes. A good and proper amount of knowledge about the disease helps a lot in preventing it. So let’s learn more about Type 1 Diabetes.
What happens in Type 1 Diabetes?
As per the Type 1 Diabetes definition, when you are diagnosed with this disease, the pancreatic cells are badly destroyed and lose the ability to produce enough insulin that your body needs. Once this happens, the glucose which gets into the bloodstream cannot be absorbed by body cells and it accumulates as sugar in your blood which can further lead to many complications.
The worst thing about Type 1 Diabetes is that it cannot be cured either through drugs or any kind of oral medication, we can only treat it after the symptoms begin to show so that it doesn’t harms our body. But in all cases, consult a doctor and only then begin with its diagnosis as it is a chronic sugar disease and you must get it diagnosed as soon as the early signs show up.
Causes of Type 1 Diabetes
All kinds of diabetes are usually caused by the same major causes that affect our body. These causes usually develop due to bad lifestyle habits or sometimes they may simply arise due to genetic defects. Let’s see some of the most common Type 1 Diabetes causes so that it will help you know what not to do if you want to avoid diabetes.
- Pancreatic cells are destroyed and they are not able to produce sufficient amount of insulin for our body.
- Lifestyle factors such as high sedentary levels can also be a cause for Type 1 Diabetes. Your eating habits and diet plan might also contribute as a cause of diabetes.
- Other environmental factors such as the virus and other kinds of toxins in your surroundings can be a cause of Type 1 Diabetes and also has an effect on organs. Thus you must try to avoid being in unhealthy environments.
Signs and Symptoms of Type 1 Diabetes
These Type 1 Diabetes symptoms can seem like normal at first but if they recur or stay for a prolonged period of time, you must immediately visit your physician and follow his guidelines. These are the various signs of Type 1 Diabetes and you must monitor your body to notice them to start quick treatment of Type 1 Diabetes.
- There might be increase in thirst at the beginning and thus frequent urination as a result of the same.
- Increase in appetite or hunger is also said to be one of the Diabetes Type 1 symptoms which you must look out for.
- Vision can get blurry at times.
- Small kids or children can go through bedwetting or excessive amount of urination.
Type 1 Diabetes in Adults
Although Type 1 Diabetes is said to happen in children, even adults can get it when they are older. Most of the adults think that they cannot get Type 1 Diabetes once they grow old but this is a long held myth. However, when there is an onset of Type 1 Diabetes in adults, their body keeps producing insulin at a lower rate and they may not need additional insulin to supplement their body. Sometimes when you are getting diagnosed for diabetes, your family history can mislead your doctor. Although your family has a history of Type 2 Diabetes, you may still get Type 1 Diabetes.
Type 1 Diabetes in Children
Most of the Type 1 Diabetes signs and symptoms will be found in children and young adults as it is also known as Juvenile Diabetes. If your child suffers from Type 1 Diabetes, she will do it for the rest of her life and only good diabetes treatment is something you can ensure as a parent. In most of the cases, your child will need daily insulin injections or other kinds of insulin pumps so that the blood sugar range stays as low as possible. In some cases, treatment without insulin is also possible if the body keeps producing a certain amount of insulin to get things going. If you don’t seek proper treatment, huge complications can rise in the future for your children.
Type 1 Diabetes in Pregnancy
Many kinds of pregnancy complications can rise if you are pregnant with Type 1 Diabetes. Once you get to know that you are pregnant, you must get your blood sugar levels checked and strive to maintain them during the tenure of pregnancy. Even after the birth of your baby, breastfeeding is necessary and only having control over diabetes will lead you to be able to take care of your new born baby in the best possible way.
Prevention of Type 1 Diabetes
The best way to prevent diabetes is to have a good lifestyle and eating habits. If you strive to stay healthy, such complications may not arise. Even avoiding smoking and drinking can go a long way in keeping yourself in good health and preventing Type 1 Diabetes. Make sure that you get all kinds of vaccines on time as well as adhere to your exercise prescription.
Treatment of Type 1 Diabetes
Drugs and oral medications are used for the treatment of Type 1 Diabetes but there are various natural cures for it as well.
- You must get a food chart and try to follow a good diet.
- Many people also believe in cure through Yoga and if we check facts, it has been proven to lower blood sugar levels to a certain extent.
Although there are many home remedies for the treatment but since the risk factors are high, you must consult a doctor. However, if you wish to seek home remedies, below are a few things that you can try.
Home Remedies of Type 1 Diabetes
- Honey as we all know has many medicinal properties and it can help in regeneration of cells which can help in treating Type 1 Diabetes.
- Stevia leaves are another food item which you can consume as it has anti diabetic properties.
- Eating Avocado can help in managing your blood sugar levels and thus provide relief from Type 1 Diabetes.